Thursday, October 2, 2008

The preschool roller coaster

Well, after an in-depth 30 minute conversation with the preschool director yesterday, we had a "make or break" day at school today. Let me back up a bit: I didn't take R to school on Tuesday because we had been traveling and I wanted her to get back into her home routine and feel stable before I put her back in school. I was also worried about the regression I mentioned a few posts ago. Hence, the chat with the director. Apparently her teacher had also chatted with the director about R--she certainly knew the situation but wanted to observe her today, in the classroom and on the playground, to come up with her own advice about whether we should pull her or keep at it. So, you can only imagine how calm and relaxed I was today, knowing that my child was under the microscope, so to speak. But I was also really interested to hear what she had to say; she told me if it was urgent and we needed to take action right away (i.e., pull her), she'd call today, if not, we'd chat on Tuesday.
So, you can also imagine how at ease I was when I noticed I had missed a call from Noah's Ark around noon today. Luckily, I didn't call back immediately, I listened to the message first, which was really good in that it was positive news. She thinks we definitely should not pull R, she's showing strong signs of adapting. Notably, R told the director herself that she did want to come to school, just "not swim lessons." So it's good we are suspending those until spring. She also made a friend today, and apparently R and precious little smiley Julie (in her class) were inseparable and chattered away with each other all day. I think that is a BIG DEAL for R and will make everything much better. When I walked in for pick up, not only were there no tears, but her two teachers both told me it had been a much better day and that she had "decided she could have fun." Sorry, Reese, your mommy is pretty tightly wound most of the time, and it seems like maybe you have inherited that from me. Speaking of, of course I called the director back three times today and left messages for her telling her how very interested I am to hear a full report. I am guessing at this time I probably won't her back from her until next week, but all in all, I am feeling so much better about this. Relief! I am not naive enough to think we are totally free from any school anxiety, it just seems like are turning a corner.
In totally unrelated news, here are some funny pics from last night. I was getting ready for the Westcave Preserve gala, and wandered in on R, not wanting to be left out of the dress up fun!
What, Mommy? I don't know what you're talking about--these shoes suit me fine...

She did tell me "these shoes are beautiful"

and "they match my shirt perfectly!"

Really? Maybe the CL stilettos match your kitty cat tee "purr-fectly" but in a way that can only be described as "toddler fabulous." Oh well, it's pretty cute. And I love that the heels come up to her knees.....

2 comments:

M. Mehta said...

Um, she looks like she can walk in those heels, too! She must've inherited that from Mommy, as well. :)

I'm so glad to hear that preschool is going to work out after all. Yes, I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but so reassuring to know she's turning a corner! I look forward to future updates and fun stories!

Erin said...

OMG, those heels are fabulous! reese is quite a fashion icon. :)