Friday, September 12, 2008

Something to do besides obsessively watch Ike....

...because all I seem to be able to do is cycle between weather.com and chron.com. This hurricane is really freaking me out. It's like a burgeoning train wreck that moves about 10 mph. If that makes any sense. Anyway, I am worried about everyone I know and love in Houston, worried about the destruction to Galveston, worried about the general well-being of everyone along the coast. All there is to do is watch and wait. But, in the meantime, I REALLY need to take a break from my OCD attachment to weather coverage. Which is something I normally have anyway--it just reaches a fever pitch when there's a "weather event"--and this is like an extended two week weather extravaganza, but not in a good way--obv.
So, let's talk about something else, shall we?
Oh, my dears, do NOT let this picture fool you.

It has not been an easy week at school for Reese. Lots of tears upon drop off and pick up both days, and the teacher told me R adamantly refused to go out to the playground on Thursday. This is shocking and confusing because she adores being outside, going to the park, and had even talked about the playground a lot the first week. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it, but my sleuthing is falling flat so far.
For consolation, we often go get a "pink" milkshake (I really wish she was as obsessed with the color brown as she is with pink because I would SO rather mooch off a chocolate shake than a strawberry one) and fries. I think she likes this new tradition.

These are pics from earlier today--R is wearing a dress that used to be mine! We are trying (collectively, as a family) to determine which relative made this. I thought it was Kathy, but she said no, so maybe Grandma Margaret? We're going to dinner with her tonight so hopefully we can re-debut the ensemble to the proper designer.

It fits R so well and I think she looks absolutely precious in it. But I could be biased.


Well, back to team coverage for me. I hope those of you in Houston are ready to hunker down and get through the night. I am very much looking forward to phone calls tomorrow assuring me that you are all okay. Not that any of you are going to have the time and desire to read my blog at this time. Off to watch, wait, watch, wait. Everyone take good care.

3 comments:

M. Mehta said...

I often think of you in weather events, b/c I know how much you love the Weather Channel and how these big events freak you out!! It's going to be ugly, but we're hoping everyone will be just fine. The officials seem to know what they're doing, if only the media would stop hyping up terms like "certain death!" Dear god. . . But I digress. I love Reese's ponytail and your former dress is just adorable on her. Let us know when you find out the designer. Oh, and let R know I will share a pink shake (Strawberry is my fave!) with her any day. :)

Shelly said...

Yeah, "certain death" and having people write their SSN on their arms freaks me out. David called this a.m. & all of the Bains & Williams are safe, no power but doing okay. Whew. Now we just need to hear from Lissa & Dylan. Has everyone heard from their loved ones yet??
I'm so, so sad about Galveston & Brennan's. :(

Shelly said...

Lissa & Dylan are safe too. What a relief!