Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"My mommy climbed up a mountain"

Leya talked me into hiking up Snow King yesterday and someone must have told R that we were climbing up the mountain in town. She's made several comments today, my favorite being, "My mommy climbed up a mountain. She climbed and climbed and climbed. You did it, Mommy? Yay! Good job!" (accompanied by clapping)
Keep in mind, this is the hiking trail that many Jackson Hole locals pop up basically on a daily basis--it's kind of like Austin's hike and bike trail. Oh, except it's at 7000 ft above sea level and it's COMPLETELY VERTICAL. Like, switchback, followed by a switchback, followed by a really steep switchback....you get the idea. Several people jog this trail (crazy) and I swear I saw the same woman pass by us 3 times, meaning she was doing it multiple times in a row (also crazy). But, despite my grumblings and having to make numerous stops to try to get my breathing to return to something resembling a normal pace, it was well worth it. Here's the view from the top of Snow King, looking down over Jackson and toward the Tetons.

Leya at the top--she's an old pro at this trail now!

Proof--I really did climb it! :)

It was a fun experience but I talked Leya into a much flatter hike today...I think my legs will be thankful for that!

3 comments:

M. Mehta said...

How fun! Good for you girls. What a beautiful view! And love R's encouragement. :)

Erin said...

I love that R is so supportive - too cute!

Leya said...

Shelly is not mentioning that she climbed that mountain in 49 minutes seat to saddle. That's impressive even for locals. Reese is right to cheer!