Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Silence is golden(doodle)

Okay, Greta is technically a labradoodle, but still, the title works because--the crate training has turned a corner! Becca and Monique gave me some great advice, and I did a little online research and realized--ooops!--we were approaching it all wrong with the little pup. She was scared and lonely and just wanted to be with us, so not only did I move her crate into our room, I also put it up on two chairs right next to my side of the bed. Trust me, we are quite cozy, but it works like a charm! Two nights ago, she went right in, curled up and was out before I could even turn off the light. Same thing last night. And the only whimpers come once a night when she needs to go outside and do her business, or sometimes when I get up to do mine. Then she kennels right up again, happy as a clam. We are going to gradually move her crate to the floor, then to the corner, etc. But it's just a slow process that takes patience. And that patience is a lot easier to muster when there is silence and sleep at night.
See, you can see how well crate trained she is:


Okay, so she isn't always in her crate, and yes, she's on the couch, but she doesn't shed nor does she smell, so I figured it's okay. And honestly, the nighttime routine is so. much. better. Aaah, relief!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad it is working! Bet in 6 months the crate is still on 2 chairs right next to you!!! Then, 6 months after that Greta will be curled up on a pillow next to you in bed :)
We got dog beds at Costco, Gracie & Wally love them, matter-o-fact we have 5 around the house......
xoxo

Shelly said...

Actually, believe it or not, the crate is already moved to the corner of our room. It was blocking my path to the bathroom. ;) But she is doing perfectly fine with it and we've even left her for a few short periods carted during the day and she seems to be okay. I can really see how this can help w/ the housebreaking. And good tip on Costco beds--we have a Petsmart one d/s but I can see the need for a few more around the house. :)