Sunday, June 8, 2008

Team Mel & Shel: Double High Fives!

So, along with 2,998 other women, Melanie and I completed our first Danskin triathlon today! Go, us!

Hey, Mel + Shel = Shmell. Maybe that's why Reese is plotting her escape and avoiding the camera.
We had awesome cheerleaders--check out the inspiring signs
The Mehta Cheering Section:


Papa Mike and Reese (boggled by what on earth might be happening and why she was involved as well)

Ma Pam, Gigi and Poppy were also there, as well as Chad and his entire crew cheering on Christy and her sister.
Reese thought playing with Caitlin was way more fun than watching mobs of sweaty people. She'll change her mind. Maybe. Here are the future triathletes!


So here's my full account for those who are interested.
I get up at 4:55, a full 5 minutes before Melanie is supposed to arrive at my house. We make our way over there, bleary eyed and a little anxious. After taking care of various preparatory transition matters, we watch the first few heats take off, and subsequently, the first of the elite athletes swim in as they finished that leg. We look out at the swim course and say, "That's not so bad." Famous last words, right?
So it's coming to our turn, and after some wise words from Danskin pro Christy and watching Melanie almost get bounced from the heat line-up (number issues, quickly resolved--I totally was prepared to go down with her though, really), we get in place. Exit anxiety, cue full blown NERVES. We hold back a little and start off to the side and in back. Now, keep in mind that I have been practicing freestyle somewhat regularly for the past three months. I freestyle all of 50 yards and flip into the backstroke position. Eventually, I get into a pattern: 15 backstrokes--flip over--5 breaststrokes--do it again. Next year, I will be placing much more training focus on various strokes. Another observation: when you are in the water, the course seems so. much. longer. than it does from the land.

But happily, I eventually make it out of the water, leaving plenty of opportunity for swim time improvement next year. And as soon as I step out, I see the Mehtas and Chad--that was a really fun surprise.
The bike ride was pretty fun, with a few tough hills, but all in all, a good, fairly hard workout. Lots of "good jobs" and "way to gos" hollered all around. I also saw Ma Pam, Papa and Reese as I was heading out, which was great, except Reese was already in the "where am I and who are you" mindset.
After we started into the 5K, which I must say was approached as a very respectable jog/walk, we were almost giddy. Or was it loopy? Anyway, time flew as we jogged on flat and downhill parts, cheered for the bikers as we passed them on a steep hill (us down, them up), and even ended up jogging up the crazy hill at the end, due to a very motivating (but not in an obnoxious or scary way) volunteer. She basically wasn't going to let us walk, telling us we couldn't really say we did the Danskin if we didn't run the big hill (which, speaking for myself, was actually kind of my plan), and--here's the clencher--she jogged with us as she motivated us. How can you say no?

"Who's glad to be done with the race?" (look closely)
Crossing the finish line and seeing everyone was such a great end to a challenging but very rewarding day. Good times all around, and watch out Danskin 2009--I think Team Shmell will be back!

10 comments:

ashley said...

I'm so glad you posted pictures and talked about the morning! How exciting! So proud of you!

M. Mehta said...

You were both so inspiring. Way to go, ladies! You rocked it today. :)

MaPam said...

Shel: You were so great today - you should be proud! You're right that Reesey didn't understan what all the excitement was about. Next year she will!

Erin said...

you are such a rockstar!!! i'm so impressed!

mike said...

I'm so proud of you! You are the first family triathlete and an inspiration to us all.

mike said...

I'm so proud of you! You are the first family triathlete and an inspiration to us all.ysgshqsv

Shelly said...

Did anyone else notice this in the last pic--us as we jog across the finish--when you enlarge it, the guy's white cap says: IRONMAN FINISHER 2008. Nice.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!! So, Kona in a few years??? You're addicted now, aren't you? xoxo

M. Mehta said...

Hey, why does Ironman look like he's snapping a shot of you two? :)

Bain said...

What a great account of the race, I'm so proud of you. Can'twait to bike when I get home.