Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wish Me Luck

Okay, not much to post about this week because I am slowly but steadily preparing (losing my mind) for R and my trip to FL. We leave tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. (I know, so early, especially considering R likes to sleep in til 9ish most days). It's my first time to fly solo commercially with R (SOB SOB SOOOOOOOB story), and we have to connect in Houston. We have 45 minutes tomorrow but on our return we have 30 minutes. In IAH. Please God, let us stay in the same terminal, both days if possible, but really especially on Monday. The mental image of me, running between terminals, dragging Reese and carrying our carry-ons, while initially humorous, always ends in me falling down on the moving sidewalk and becoming airport road kill. Or maybe that's just in my version....
Also, in a fun and exciting twist, R has come down with a cold. In a phone chat with the pediatrician's office today (have I mentioned I like to obsess on things?), the nurse told me not to worry, all would be fine. Then she threw out this helpful nugget: she can now have children's Benadryl because she is 2. This has made my day, although I am trying not to get too excited--we are testing it right now to make sure she is not, as the nurse put it, "the one out of a million child who gets hyper instead of drowsy." Within 20 minutes of taking it, previously sleepy child was jumping on my bed screaming, "I want to DAAAAAAANCE!" Ahem. But, she seems to be napping now. If she stays down for the whole 3 hours, I will be administering this tomorrow as soon as we locate our connecting gate in IAH. I am not above, among other things, giving medicine if it ensures a smoother travel situation. I am also prepared to use food (candy) to bribe, and DVDs on our new portable DVD player to distract.
I seriously get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about this process tomorrow. I am trying to avoid thinking worst case scenario (getting kicked off the plane, like the lady on the news recently), just visualizing the fact that we will be on the ground in FL, visiting Daddy, tomorrow at this time. Except after we land, we have a 3-hour drive down to DelRay Beach. Poor child, we are keeping her totally sedentary and strapped in tomorrow. Well, it'll be worth it to see Daddy and play in "the booms" again.
Why I am telling you all of this? Oh, right. Because the thought of trying to drag along my computer case as an additional carry-on was pushing me way too close to the edge. That idea quickly went out the window, and some sanity was restored. So, no blog updates until Monday. But I should have some interesting stories and anecdotes (I am hoping the post-FL posts are actually more "anecdotal" than really long and complicated "stories") to fill everyone in on.
And since TS Dolly's arrival means no swim lesson today, I think I better take that as a sign that it's really time for me to go pack and prepare for tomorrow. We can do it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st of all you crack me up. 2nd looking forward to hearing how it goes..... I am sure it won't be as bad as imagined - I hope! Drug the kid - I am all for it. Good Luck! xoxoxo

Shelly said...

UPDATE: No, no, bad bad BAAAAAD benadryl. We always knew R was one in a million, right? I made the kistake of giving her the last half of the dose last night b/c her nose was running and we were up til 11:10. She was spazzy, spazzier and spazziest. So....let's just hope it all goes well. Going on autopilot.....now.

Shelly said...

oops, mistake. it's 5:15 am....

M. Mehta said...

AHHH! I feel your stress, sister. I am wishing tons of luck. Everything can be scary the first go-round, but I think Reese will do great. And you, too! :) Enjoy the trip, hugs to David, and can't wait to hear all about it!!!! xo, M

lips said...

Can't wait to hear the trip update -- hope you have a wonderful time. Do I need to stock up on Bendryl before our next flight?!?

ashley said...

dying to hear the update! hope the trip went well!

(oh- and i am also one of those people who gets the weird, shaky energy when taking certain medications like benadryl. it's awful!)