Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"That was fun"

Okay, we are safely home. So, let's address the flight issues since that is where the most drama lies....shall we?
So R wasn't ever AWFUL but she wasn't an A-plus passenger either. The first flight on Friday AM went fine, although we got there, went to check our bags at curbside, and were told the flight we were scheduled to take was delayed an hour and we would miss our connection, so we ran inside and luckily they bumped us up to a 6:55 flight. Thank goodness we were there early! We made the connection without problems. She did great for most of the flight to Orlando. The guy across the aisle from me decided he wanted to be chatty (after his 1 beer and 4th glass of wine) and was telling me what a good traveller she was while I stared at her, admiring how she was enthralled with the portable DVD player. I was all, "Yes, yes, isn't she? And she NEVER HAS EAR PROBLEMS." The words came out of my mouth, because she really never has had them. Lo and behold, 20 minutes later as we start our descent, she looked at me and cried out, "My ears HUUUUUURT" and started screaming and shrieking. So much so that I could not get her in her seat and buckled for the life of me, and the flight attendant finally came up and suggested that I just give that one up and hold her in my lap. She was nice about it, but I got the "do whatever it takes to make this stop" gist of it.
So we landed and got our bags, and R was feeling fine by then. David pulled up to pick us up and we seriously had a total Hallmark moment--she saw him, ran to him, arms spread open and screaming "DADDDDDDY!!!" and he scooped her up. Everyone around us stopped to stare and smile. Warm fuzzies for everyone.
I'll get to actual visit in a sec, just wrapping up the flight update. The return trip was okay, R was fidgeting a lot on both flights and I went ahead and took the preemptive strike on the Hous-Aus leg and just held her in my lap the whole time. She was pretty antsy and fussy by then. (Oh, and I had administered Benadryl earlier in hopes that it would help with the ear situation, which I think it did somewhat) I even resorted to just HANDING HER the bag of candy on that last flight. Luckily, she only wanted to sort them out and not eat every last one. She did tell me her ears hurt, but there was no screaming involved so we were all okay. We also had numerous discussions, at length, about the merits of using our "inside voice" while on the airplane.
After we got off each flight and were walking in the tunnel to the gate, no matter whether there had been drama or not, Reese would announce to no one in particular, "That was fun!" Sometimes it had been, sometimes I was still sweating and covered in sticky candy aftermath....
Oh, and I also did the most advanced diaper change yet on our descent into Houston yesterday but I will spare everyone the details on that one. You're welcome.
So, the trip itself, minus flights was fantastic. We had a great visit with David. He is doing so well. We all went to scope out DelRay Beach. For those familiar with the sitch, he will be living there for a little while--possibly into next year. It's a wonderful place, with a neat little town and a beautiful beach. He has several friends down there and it is a really good spot for him. For those not in the know, don't worry, everything is great. And he will be coming back to Austin, just not sure when.
Here's the sunrise Sunday morning, as seen out over the Atlantic, from our room.

Reese loved playing on the beach and swimming in the booms. She was very busy sorting out sand, too busy to pose for any pictures, as you can tell.

What, Mom?

Won't even look up while Daddy poses next to her!

My child plays in hotel furniture, part 3

Peacefully napping

Unfortunately, I didn't get many pics--David has a super fancy new digital camera and we have more pics on that one.
All in all, a great weekend visiting with Daddy and hanging out in south Florida--I have a feeling we'll be back very soon! We'll have to do some research and figure out when the sea turtles hatch--there were signs marking their nests ALL OVER the beaches, and I would love to see that happen. Preview of coming attractions....

4 comments:

M. Mehta said...

Reese is becoming quite the savvy traveler! It sounds like it went really well, despite horrible earaches. :( David looks fabulous, and I'm thrilled he's doing so well and y'all had such a great time! Hope to see more pics, if he can send them! xo, M

Erin said...

I'm so glad you made it through the flights...we've been thinking about you! Sounds like you had a great visit!! xo, E

Anonymous said...

I love the hotel furniture quirk, glad to see it is blossoming into a habit, very entertaining! Hugs to the whole fam! Looks like the beach is a hit for Reese & David - I am guessing you too! xoxo, Becca

Shelly said...

Yes, I loved the beach there--it is one that you can walk on for miles on end--and the water is a beautiful clear dark blue. I just ended up being behind the camera for all of the beach shots (which ensures no pics of me in my bathing suit!). ;)